Breakers snap two-match losing streak with much-needed victory over Brisbane

The Breakers have reignited their NBL campaign with a fighting 96-89 win over the Brisbane Bullets in Auckland.

After building up a nine-game winning streak, the Breakers had lost momentum with an 89-73 loss to Perth followed by a listless 81-76 defeat to Brisbane on Sunday.

Four days later, a more clinical shooting performance and some superb offensive rebounding put them back on track against a Bullets outfit yet to record a win on the road this season.

Coach Paul Henare was pleased with his team's improvement.

"The intent with which we played with the ball was great," he said.

"The effort of [Edgar] Sosa and DJ Newbill in the face of their press, those were areas we wanted to improve on and we did tonight."

Bullets coach Andrej Lemanis was happy with his team's commitment, but said they had fallen off defensively.

"Over the past four or five games I thought our defence had been good, but tonight we regressed a little," he said.

"We tried but did we put it in the right areas? The stats would suggest it was a little misplaced."

A Tom Abercrombie trey opened the scoring for the Breakers, followed in quick time by a second from DJ Newbill as the Breakers worked hard on an up-tempo start after Sunday's lacklustre loss.

Ahead 24-23 at the end of the first spell, the Kiwis edged fractionally ahead in an even second quarter to hold a 49-47 halftime lead.

Abercrombie, who managed just seven points in Sunday's loss, impressed from long range in the first half, sinking two from beyond the paint then opening the third quarter with back-to-back threes.

The Breakers managed to extend their lead to 73-69 at the three-quarter mark, Brisbane hit hard when Tom Jervis fouled out with just under eight minutes of the game remaining.

He still managed 20 points, with back-up from Daniel Kickert (16) and Perrin Buford, who added 11 points, eight rebounds and five assists.

For the Breakers, Abercrombie fronted with a game-leading 22 points including a perfect five from five from deep, and 12 rebounds, with Newbill also playing a key hand in amassing 17 points, five rebounds, eight assists and three steals.


Topics



'She'll be treated like any other athlete' – NZOC President defends Laurel Hubbard Commonwealth Games selection

New Zealand Olympic Committee president Mike Stanley has defended the selection of transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard for next year's Commonwealth Games on Australia's Gold Coast, following her two silver medals at the world championships in America this morning.

Hubbard, 39, will become the first transgender athlete to represent New Zealand at the games next year, drawing criticism from the head of Australia's weightlifting federation.

Speaking to 1 NEWS today, Stanley said that the NZOC will back Hubbard unconditionally, having met all of the criteria for selection.

"Our policy is quite clear in the New Zealand Olympic Committee," he said.

"If athletes are eligible to compete, by their international federation, and they're eligible to represent New Zealand, then we welcome them to our team."

"She'll (Hubbard) be treated like any other athlete in the team, and that's how we'll be managing that."

Stanley also spoke about the inevitable reaction that's followed Hubbard, now being raised across the ditch.

"There will always be some discussion - It's a new thing and people are going to voice an opinion about it."

"Our job, will be to make sure we have a performance environment around Laurel, so she can compete to her very, very best."

Hubbard will become the first transgender New Zealander to compete at next year's Gold Coast games. Source: 1 NEWS


Topics

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

'He's all hot air' - Team Parker slate Anthony Joshua as unification talks stall

Kiwi heavyweight Joseph Parker's team are questioning the motives of British fighter Anthony Joshua, as the two camps struggle to reach an agreement over terms to a unification bout next year.

With talk of a winner-takes-all showdown between WBO champion Parker, and IBF and WBA title holder Joshua appearing to have hit a snag over financial terms, Duco Events' David Higgins has come out swinging at his British counterparts.

Speaking to Sky Sports UK, Higgins didn't hold back in questioning whether or not Joshua's camp truly want the fight.

"As it stands, AJ is refusing to compromise and has drawn a line in the sand that we think is unreasonable. It's not worth me coming to London," Higgins said.

"Joshua, if he wants to be taken seriously, and he wants to put himself in the same sentence as Ali or George Foreman or Federer, has to prove he's a man of his word, and to date he's all hot air. We're losing patience."

Parker is believed to be after a 35 per cent stake of any profits from the fight, offering Joshua's camp the majority 65 per cent stake, although it appears that the unbeaten Brit wants an even larger share, leaving both parties at a stalemate in their negotiations.

Eddie Hearn delivered a message to the Kiwi heavyweight this morning. Source: Supplied