Watch: Neigbour describes hearing 'large bang' as man shot in south Auckland

A neigbour heard a "large bang" as a man was shot in South Auckland last night.

Police say a man was taken to Middlemore Hospital with gunshot wounds after the shooting, which took place in Manurewa about 10.05pm.

The Armed Offenders Squad searched a property on Mahia Rd last night after police were alerted to the incident.

Police at the scene of a shooting in Manurewa, Auckland.
Police at the scene of a shooting in Manurewa, Auckland. Source: 1 NEWS

A neighbour told 1 NEWS he and his family were watching TV when they heard "a large bang, like a big explosion".

"We could see a lot of movements of people going back and forwards to the house," he said.

"We didn't actually see anything but we heard a large bang."

The police investigation continues.

The man spoke to 1 NEWS today after the July 19 incident in Manurewa. Source: 1 NEWS



Man dies in 'medical event' while driving in Wellington

A man has died following a what police describe as a "medical event" while he was driving on SH2 between Ngauranga and Petone in Wellington.

Emergency services were called to the scene at 10.16am.

Police say one northbound lane of the road was closed for a time and that lane has now reopened.

The Serious Crash Unit attended.

The death has been referred to the Coroner.

 



A road closure sign in front of a Police vehicle
A road closure sign in front of a Police vehicle. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Lower Hutt recycling yard fire reportedly sparked by a lithium ion battery

Yesterday's large fire at a scrap metal yard in Lower Hutt was reportedly caused by a lithium ion battery, and it's a growing problem, an industry body says.

The Scrap Metal Recycling Association of New Zealand today said in a statement that the fire at Macaulay Metals appeared to have been sparked by a battery discarded inside scrap metal.

The fire disrupted traffic and one person was taken to hospital as a precaution - SMRANZ spokesperson Korina Kirk said that person was an asthmatic and they are OK.

"Unfortunately, as tip fees increase and more materials such as gas bottles and lithium batteries are deemed unacceptable by municipal kerbside collections, people are hiding these prohibited and flammable items in car bodies and other scrap metal deliveries," Kirk said.

"A Lithium Ion battery appears to be the cause of the fire ... this is a concern because it is the second fire this year at a metals recycling facility that has been caused by the unstable, volatile and explosive nature of these batteries."

Kirk said the metal cycling industry contributes about $425m per year to New Zealand and that more recycling pathways are needed for materials like batteries.

The fire at the scrap yard has caused a street to be closed and nearby businesses to be evacuated in Lower Hutt. Source: 1 NEWS