TODAY |

Facebook and Instagram break their silence, reveal what they are doing about hate in wake of Christchurch attack

Facebook says it may restrict some people from going live on its platforms as they look into ways to curb harmful content like the video of the Christchurch terrorist attack.

Your playlist will load after this ad

The move, in the wake of the Christchurch terrorist attack, is a good first step but more can be done, the Prime Minister replied. Source: 1 NEWS

The gunman in Christchurch broadcasted live video through Facebook of his attack on March 15, and Facebook, along with company subsidiary Instagram, have faced huge political pressure to take steps to stop such broadcasts in future.

Sheryl Sandberg, second in command of Facebook after Mark Zuckerberg, wrote on Instagram's press release channel overnight detailing proposed changes.

"The terrorist attacks in Christchurch were an act of pure evil. All of us at Facebook stand with the victims, their families, the Muslim community, and all of New Zealand," Ms Sandberg wrote.

"Many of you have also rightly questioned how online platforms such as Facebook were used to circulate horrific videos of the attack."

Ms Sandberg said the company is listening to feedback, and is taking immediate steps, including strengthening the rules for Facebook Live, and taking further steps to address hate on the platforms.

Your playlist will load after this ad

CNN Correspondent Donie O’Sullivan gives his analysis of the company’s move. Source: 1 NEWS

Several New Zealand white nationalist hate groups have been removed from Facebook or Instagram, and have been banned from ever using them again.

The groups include the Lads Society, the United Patriots Front, the Antipodean Resistance and National Front New Zealand.

Praising, supporting or representing white nationalism or separatism on Facebook or Instagram has now also been banned completely.

The company is now exploring putting restrictions on who can go live depending on factors including prior Community Standard violations.

The company is also investing in new technology which can quickly identify and take down objectionable - even if they have been altered to avoid detection.

Changes have also been made to Facebook and Instagram's process when someone reports a video.

About 900 versions of the video had been uploaded to Facebook, Ms Sandberg said.

"People with bad intentions will always try to get around our security measures ... that’s why we must work to continually stay ahead," she said.

Ms Sandberg said her company stands ready to assist with the upcoming Royal Commission into the event.