'An absolute tragedy' - Man dies in hospital after being hit by carload of people fleeing police in Christchurch

One person is dead after a fleeing driver crashed into an innocent motorist this morning in Christchurch.

Police say a Toyota Caldina was signalled to stop by Police on Papanui Road about 4am this morning due to the "erratic" way the car was being driven, but the driver fled.

Side view of a car left badly damaged after a car hit another vehicle while fleeing police in Christchurch. Source: 1 NEWS

Four minutes later, the Toyota crashed into a Hyundai Grandeur at the intersection of Glandovey and Idris Roads.

The driver and sole occupant of the Hyundai, a male, was severely injured by the impact and was taken to hospital in a critical condition, but died soon afterwards.

A second car is left badly damaged after a car fleeing police crashed into a vehicle in Christchurch. Source: 1 NEWS

The five occupants of the fleeing vehicle were also taken to hospital, St John said, with one of them in a critical condition and the rest suffering moderate injuries.

Police are calling the crash "an absolute tragedy and a horrific outcome", and say three investigations into the incident will take place.

Christchurch Metro Commander Superintendent Lane Todd said a Police investigation into the incident will also be accompanied by a Serious Crash Unit investigation as well as an Independent Police Conduct Authority investigation.

"It is a concern for us - and especially [a chase] with this nature where someone has died," Mr Todd said.

"The exact nature of the fleeing driver incident is being reviewed - the pursuit was still active at the time of the crash.

"It's horrific for everyone involved."

Mr Todd said police staff had received more training since their Pursuits Policy was the subject of a report in March, with more emphasis put on their TENR (Threat, Exposure, Necessity and Response) framework.

Your playlist will load after this ad

It’s the first joint review by police and its watchdog body, the IPCA. Source: 1 NEWS

Mr Todd said Police have visited the man's family and he extended his condolences.

He said there were no indications at this stage that the Toyota was stolen.

The intersection is currently closed.

Your playlist will load after this ad

Superintendent Lane Todd said a Toyota fled police on Papanui Road in Christchurch before crashing into another car four minutes later. Source: 1 NEWS