About TVNZ New Blood 2018
After kicking off a nationwide search for a brand new web series in 2017, the TVNZ New Blood Web Series Competition is back for year two – with some exciting changes.
*Applications are now closed for 2018. The Top 15 are now sitting with our panel. Stay tuned for an announcement on the finalists next month!*
What’s it all about?
Last year saw hopefuls submitting pilots for our judging panel’s consideration. The talented finalists then went head to head in a public vote which saw Oddly Even win $100,000 to bring their show to life.
What’s new in 2018?
Rather than entering a pilot, we want hopefuls to send through written proposals, opening up the competition to more people than ever!
A top 15 will be chosen, and one member from each team will have the opportunity to attend a one-day workshop at TVNZ’s head office in Central Auckland (don’t worry – if you’re not from Auckland we’ll sort out your transport.) The top 15 will have a chance to resubmit their proposals, and from there our judging panel will select five finalists who will receive $5,000 each to create a pilot.
Once the top five pilots have been made it’s over to the most important judges of all – the New Zealand public! All five pilots will be uploaded to our website for the public to view and then vote for their favourite. The pilot with the most votes will join Oddly Even in the winners club, taking the top prize of $100,000 to make their web series dream come true. So get those creative juices flowing – entries open on Monday 23rd April at 9am (we’ll announce the entry email at the same time).
What we’re after:
We’re looking for original ideas that’ll work well in short form and within the $100,000 budget. There are no rules – the idea could be for a drama, horror, comedy, or doco!
What your proposal should include:
• 1-line description of the series
• A brief synopsis explaining the direction your series will take
• Why you believe people will want to watch it
• A clear view of the demo you believe it will reach/resonate with. For example, what are their values and personalities like?
• Any relevant visuals that capture how you see your web series or have influenced your idea
A few points to note:
• Proposals should be no more than 3 pages
• Whether you’re entering alone or with a team, you can submit more than one proposal
• You must be a New Zealand citizen. It is fine if you’re a Kiwi living overseas and entering, or you are collaborating with Kiwis overseas; however your Team Leader must be living in New Zealand.
• The entry is to be made by your Team Leader. If you are entering a Proposal that has been created with others, you need to make sure you have everyone’s permission before entering.
• If any Team Members are under 18, the Team Leader will need to obtain the consent of a parent or guardian for the Team Member to enter the Competition (and provide this to TVNZ if requested). All nominated Team Leaders must be 18 or older.
• Monday 23rd April – entries open
• Monday 21st May – entries close
• Thursday 17th May – The full series of Oddly Even launches on TVNZ OnDemand
• June – workshop with top 15
• July – top 5 announced
• August – public voting opens for top 5 pilots