Heather & Mitch - Pork Three Ways
Pickled Pork Tongue, Cider Braised Pig Cheek & Crispy Tail
6 pork tongues
12 pork cheeks, trimmed
6 pork tails
6 fermented apples
1 onion, peeled and diced
4 bay leaves
1 stalk celery, washed and diced
6 cloves garlic
Salt & pepper
4 zucchinis, washed and thinly sliced
250g gruyere cheese
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch baby radishes
1 cup juniper berries
1 cup sugar
Apple cider vinegar
1. Make a braising liquor by placing onion, fennel, carrot, celery and juniper into a pot. Season and add tongue and tail. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Return to a simmer and cook for 2 hours, until meat is tender. Remove the meat and place into a bowl. Peel the tongue and slice.
2. Season the pork cheeks and place into a large pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook over a high heat and colour all sides. Add butter and baste. Then place into a large pot and cover with cider. Add juniper and thyme. Bring to the boil and return to a simmer. Cook for 1-2hrs until tender.
3. Make a pickle with equal parts of vinegar and water and 8% salt. Bring to the boil and remove. Set aside for the zucchinis.
4. Slice and serve tongue with vinaigrette. Pull the tail and mix w potato, cheese and crumb and fry.
5. Make apple aioli with purée and cider vinegar.
6. Make cucumber pickle and add to baby leaves.
7. Fry the croquette.