Heather & Mitch - Dropped Lemon Meringue Pie
with Curd, Shards & Thyme Crumb
2 cups flour
2kg caster sugar
1 bunch thyme
3 vanilla pods
2Tbsp cream of tartar
1. Make lemon curd by then place into the fridge to chill for 15 minutes. Then pour into a piping bag. Set aside in the fridge until you are ready to plate.
2. Make meringue shards by whipping egg whites and sugar. Place on tray and cook at a low temp to dry.
3. For the crumb, melt butter and thyme in microwave to infuse. Then mix sugar and flour in a bowl. Pour in infused butter and mix to combine. Break the dough into pieces and place on to a lined tray. Bake in the oven at 160* for 15-20 mins until golden brown.
4. For the Italian Meringue, make a sugar syrup by pouring the water and sugar into a pot. Bring the syrup up to 118*, then set aside. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Slowly drizzle in the sugar syrup while continuously whisking until you reach stiff peaks. Pour into a piping bag and set aside.
5. Whip the cream with the vanilla seeds until soft peaks.