Chris & Bex - Sous Vide Salmon Salad
1½ cups salt
6 cups bourbon
3 bunches thyme
6 cups brown sugar
1.5kg watercress leaves
9 Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
6 cucumbers, thinly sliced
6 beetroot, thinly sliced
6 fennel bulbs, trimmed and washed
6 lemons, zested and juiced
7½ cups cider vinegar
15 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
15 Tbsp roasted hazelnuts
60 mint leaves
Black garlic, to garnish
Thyme, to garnish
1.5kg creme fraiche
1. Season the salmon in sugar, salt, bourbon and thyme and marinate for at least 1 hour in a vacuum sealed bag.
2. Mix the beetroot in a bowl with all the salad ingredients, reserving 1⁄2 the lemon juice.
3. Cut the fennel bulbs in half, blanche and refresh in freezing water.
4. Thinly slice the apple and combine with the reminding lemon juice.
5. Toast the hazelnuts and once brown chop coarsely.
6. Sous vide the fish for until cooked. Take the leftover marinade and place into a pot to reduce until sticky. Leave to cool and set aside.
7. Combine all the prepared ingredients and shred the mint. Place on centre of plate. Combine crème fraiche and wasabi on each plate followed by large chunks of smoked fish.
8. Garnish with sliced black garlic, lemon zest and bourbon sauce.