Chris & Bex - Plum & Almond Tart
with Cardrona Rose Rabbit Ice Cream
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups ground almonds
Cherries, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 170c
2. Cut the butter into chunks and place in a large bowl with the sugar. Whisk with an electric whisk (or in a stand mixer) until fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
3. Add in the vanilla extract and almond extract, then whisk again whilst adding in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Fold in the ground almonds, flour and baking powder. Spoon into a 23cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Level the mixture with the back of a spoon.
5. Spoon the jam on top in little dollops, then swirl the jam in slightly with a blunt knife. Arrange the cherries on top in a single layer (I like a messy thrown-on look, but you can arrange neatly if you like). Push in very slightly, then sprinkle the almonds on top.
6. Place in the oven to cook for 35-40 minutes - until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
7. Whisk together the amaretto and confectioners' sugar to make the glaze. Put to one side
8. Take out of the oven and brush the glaze on top whilst the cake is still warm. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 mins, before removing and placing on a rack to cool further.