Charlotte & Maddie - Green Tea Panna Cotta
with Chocolate, Bacon and Pineapple
14oz double cream
1Tbsp green tea powder
Honey, to taste
15g gelatine powder
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup hot water
Mint leaves, to garnish
Raspberries, to garnish
Whipped cream, to garnish
1 pound bacon, finely diced
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
100g caster sugar
75g 70% dark chocolate, chopped
1 orange, zested
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 bag small pearl tapioca
30oz light coconut milk
1/2 cup pineapple, peeled, washed and finely diced
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
1. To make the panna cotta, start by placing the green tea powder into a bowl with the hot water to dissolve. Mix well and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, place coconut cream, vanilla and honey into a pot, over a low heat and bring to a simmer. Take the saucepan off heat.
3. Mix the green tea mixture into to the saucepan, and add the gelatine powder. Stir slowly until it's mixed thoroughly.
4. Pour the mixture into moulds and place in the refrigerator to set for 4 hours.
5. To make the bacon crumb, start by frying the bacon over a medium heat until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
6. Put the pan back on over a low heat, and add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the bacon back in until it slowly caramelises and evenly coats the bacon.
7. Pour onto a lined baking tray to cool. Break any larger pieces apart.
8. To make the Chocolate Soil, start by heating the sugar and water in a small pot over a low heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, increase the heat and start to caramelise.
9. Once golden, add the chocolate and orange zest. Mix and take off the heat.
10. Whisk until all the chocolate is coated, then pour onto a lined baking tray. Leave to cool.
11. To cook the tapioca, place sugar, tapioca and coconut milk in a slow cooker and stir with a whisk. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours or until most of tapioca is transparent.
12. Meanwhile place the egg in a medium bowl and whisk. Add ½ C of the cooked tapioca to egg and stir.
13. Add this back into the slow cooker and continue to cook for a further 30mins on low. Then turn off slow cooker and mix in the pineapple.
14. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled. Top each serving with toasted coconut.