Jaryd & Ben - Beet Cured Salmon
with Pickled Cucumber and Herbs
1 salmon fillet
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 vanilla beans
1/2 cup vodka
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp vinegar
1 fennel bulb
1. Pin bone the salmon.
2. Mix together grated beetroot with salt, sugar, lime zest, fennel, vanilla and vodka.
3. Place the salmon in a container lined with cling film, cover with the curing mixture and wrap with the cling film.
4. Place a heavy(ish) object over the mixture and store to cure (normally for a few days).
5. Thinly slice cucumber and mix with chilli slices in a bowl.
6. In a saucepan, mix vinegar, sugar, water and salt. Heat gently and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
7. Pour over the cucumbers.
8. Store to marinate until 10-15 minutes before serving.