Alex and Emily - Wagyu Steak
with Mushroom Ragu, Duck Fat Kipflers and White Trufffle
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
4 x 150g Wagyu steaks, at room temperature
Shaved fresh white truffle, to garnish
Duck Fat Kipfler Potatoes
12 medium Kipfler Potatoes, peeled, halved lengthways
4 tbs duck fat
20g porcini mushrooms
2 tbs olive oil
1 eschallot, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
500g mixed mushrooms (we like Swiss Browns, Portobello & button), coarsely chopped
125g marsala wine
300ml thickened cream
Juice of ½ lemon
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. To prepare potatoes, place them in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil. Boil until almost tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Lightly shake in a colander to roughen edges.
3. Place duck fat in an oven tray and place in the oven for about 5 minutes to melt. Add potatoes and toss to coat.
4. Roast for about 45 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning half way through.
5. To make mushroom ragu, place porcini mushrooms in a bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside to rehydrate.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook eschallot and garlic, stirring, until soft but not coloured. Stir in mixed mushrooms and cook, stirring, until very soft and all liquid has been absorbed. Drain porcini and reserve soaking liquid. Add rehydrated porcini and add strained reserved liquid. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl.
7. Add marsala to same pan and ignite. Allow flames to die down, then return mushroom mixture to pan. Stir in cream. Season well. Simmer until thickened and reduced. Stir in juice.
8. Heat a frying or chargrill pan over medium-high heat. Brush steaks all over with oil and season well. Add to pan. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until cooked as desired.
9. Serve steaks and potatoes with mushroom ragu. Garnish with sliced truffle.
You can use your favourite cut of steak for the recipe, to make it more affordable.
Exact cooking time for steaks will depend on their size and thickness.