Josh and Nic - Trippa alla Calabrese
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 2 hours 20 mins
1kg honeycomb tripe
1 lemon, juiced
Flat-leaf parsley and sliced red chilli, to garnish
Lemon wedges, to serve
2 x 400g cans whole peeled tomatoes
60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
125ml (½ cup) dry white wine
4 vine-ripened tomatoes, finely chopped
250ml (1 cup) olive oil
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
1. Place tripe in a large saucepan of boiling water. Add lemon juice. Allow water to return to the boil, then cook for 10 minutes.
2. Drain and rinse under cold water. Thickly slice tripe. Set aside.
3. To make Napoli sauce, blend canned tomatoes until a purée forms. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in wine and simmer for 3 minutes or until almost evaporated. Stir in puréed tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. Season. Add tripe. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered and stirring every 30 minutes, for 2 hours or until tripe is very tender.
4. Meanwhile, to make chilli oil, place oil and chilli in a saucepan over low heat. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
5. Divide tripe and sauce among serving plates and garnish with parsley and chilli. Serve with lemon wedges and chilli oil to the side.