Kim and Suong - Tamarind Lobster
with Egg Noodles
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Egg noodles and Asian greens, to serve
Sliced red chilli and green spring onions, to garnish
2 green lobsters
2 tsp powdered chicken stock
1 tsp ground black pepper
Potato starch, for dusting
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
200g dried tamarind
250ml boiling water
1 tbs vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
100ml lager beer
400ml chicken stock
2 tbs palm sugar
1 yolk, lightly beaten
2 tbs fish sauce
1. Twist heads off lobsters and discard. Halve bodies lengthways and cut each half into four pieces. Refrigerate, covered, until required.
2. To make tamarind sauce, place dried tamarind in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes. Pass through a sieve and discard solids.
3. Place oil and garlic in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook gently until garlic is golden. Add beer and bring to a boil. Add stock, sugar and strained tamarind water. Bring to a boil. Simmer until slightly thickened to form a sauce. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolk, which will thicken and enrich the sauce. Whisk in fish sauce.
4. Toss lobster pieces with combined chicken stock and black pepper. Dust with potato starch.
5. Deep fry lobster pieces in small batches until just sealed. Drain on absorbent paper then transfer to pan with hot tamarind sauce and toss to coat and until almost cooked through.
6. Serve lobster and sauce with egg noodles and greens. Garnish with chili and onions.
You could also try this recipes using crab or king prawns.