Josh and Nic - Tagliatelle Salsiccia e Funghi
(Sausage and Mushroom Pasta)
Prep time: 45 mins (+45 mins resting)
Cook time: 25 mins
Grated parmesan, to serve
300g ‘00’ pasta flour
1 tsp salt
16g dried sliced porcini mushrooms
500g salsiccia sausages
1 tbs olive oil
1 white onion, finely chopped
300g mixed mushrooms, coarsely chopped
125ml (½ cup) dry white wine
300ml thickened cream
½ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. To make tagliatelle, place flour and salt in a food processor and process to combine. Add eggs. Process until a crumbly dough forms. Knead dough on a lightly floured work surface for 6 minutes until smooth and elastic. Enclose dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes. Divide dough into 4 and keep covered. Using a rolling pin, flatten 1 portion until 5mm thick and about 12cm wide – nearly the width of your pasta machine. Set your pasta machine at its widest setting, then feed the dough through, narrowing the settings on your machine one notch at a time until you reach the thinnest setting. Pass through a tagliatelle cutter. Place tagliatelle on a lightly floured tray for 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
2. To make sauce, place porcini in a bowl and cover with 125ml (½ cup) hot water. Set aside for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve liquid.
3. Squeeze salsiccia out of their skins into a bowl.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add salsiccia meat and cook, stirring, for 6-7 minutes or until browned all over and almost cooked through. Remove and set aside, leaving residual oil in pan.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and mixed mushrooms to same pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender and mushroom juices have evaporated. Stir in wine. Simmer for 3 minutes or until almost evaporated.
6. Return salsiccia to pan. Stir in porcini and soaking liquid. Stir in cream. Season. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley.
7. Cook tagliatelle in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well then add to pan with sauce and toss to coat.
8. Divide tagliatelle and sauce among serving bowls and garnish with parmesan to serve.
Salsiccia is an Italian sausage flavoured with fennel and chilli, available at your local butcher.