Jess and Emma - Sticky Date Pudding
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Chopped toasted pecans, to decorate
350g seeded dates, chopped
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
150g unsalted butter, softened
225g (1½ cups) self-raising flour
Salted Caramel Sauce
250ml thickened cream
50g butter, chopped
300g caster sugar
1 tsp salt flakes
1. Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease 2 x 24-hole mini-muffin pans.
2. To make puddings, place dates, bicarb and 250ml (1 cup) boiling water in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes. Transfer to a processor and process until smooth. Add sugar and butter. Pulse to combine. Add eggs. Pulse to combine. Add flour. Pulse until just combined.
3. Divide mixture among prepared pan holes. Bake for 20 minutes or until puddings are firm and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pans 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
4. To make salted caramel sauce, stir cream and butter in saucepan over medium heat until hot.
5. Stir sugar and 185ml (¾ cup) water in a medium heavy-based saucepan, without boiling and using a wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals on side of pan, until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to the boil and boil, without stirring, for 7-9 minutes or until dark golden brown. Carefully stir in hot cream mixture until melted and combined. Stir in salt.
6. Divide puddings among serving plates and drizzle over sauce. Decorate with pecans to serve.