Olga and Valeria - Solyanka Soup
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
2 thick slices rye bread, toasted, chopped coarsely
Lemon slices, to garnish
2 large smoked ham hocks
300g smoked pork ribs or beef ribs
3 litres water
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
3 black peppercorns
200g chorizo, sliced
1 brown onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
1kg vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
2 tbs tomato puree
4 pickled cucumbers, finely chopped
50g pitted black olives, thinly sliced
50g pitted green olives, thinly sliced
70g baby salted capers, washed and drained
1. Place ham hocks and ribs in a large stock pot. Add the water, onion, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Boil gently for 3 hours or until meat is tender, skimming away any impurities that rise to the top.
2. Remove hocks and ribs. Remove and discard fat. Chop meat coarsely and discard bones. Strain and reserve liquid.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over low- medium heat.
4. Add chorizo. Cook, stirring, until chorizo is lightly browned and fat has rendered approx. 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
5. Add onion and garlic to same pan. Cook, stirring 2-3 minutes or until soft but not coloured. Add carrot. Cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes. Add tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened and reduced slightly approx. 25-30 minutes.
6. Add chorizo, ham hock and pork rib meat, tomato sauce and reserved cooking liquid to a large stock pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer on lowest heat, partially covered, for 1 hour. Stir in remaining ingredients.
7. Remove soup from heat and stand covered for 30 minutes.
8. Serve soup garnished with toasted rye bread pieces and lemon slices.