Stella and Jazzey - Smoked Trout Tart
with Beetroot & Strawberry Relish
Prep time: 45 mins (+chilling)
Cook time: 1 hour
Micro herbs, to garnish
1 beetroot, grated
250g strawberries, quartered
70ml balsamic vinegar
3 tbs brown sugar
Sour Cream Pastry
300g plain flour, plus extra, to dust
1 tsp salt
200g chilled butter, chopped
125g sour cream
Pea & Leek Mash
1 tbs olive oil
1 leek, finely chopped
250g frozen peas, boiled, drained
500ml (2 cups) fish stock
150g fillet skinless ocean trout fillet
150g fillet skinless snapper, cut into 3cm pieces
100g prawns, peeled, cleaned, coarsely chopped
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 baby fennel, finely chopped
150g hot-smoked trout, coarsely flaked
125g crème fraîche
½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 tbs finely chopped dill
½ lemon, zested, juiced
1. To make relish, place all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until softened. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until very soft and slightly thickened. Season.
2. To make pastry, process flour and salt to combine. Add butter and process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add sour cream and process until mixture just comes together to form a ball. Shape into a disc and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Bring dough to room temperature. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick. Cut out 6cm rounds. Press into 48 holes of mini muffin pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 180C. Bake pastry for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool completely.
5. To make mash, heat butter and oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened but not coloured. Stir in peas. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Coarsely mash mixture.
6. To make filling, bring stock to the boil in a saucepan. Add fish and prawns and simmer for 5 minutes or until just cooked. Drain. Cool. Coarsely flake fish.
7. Place remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Season. Stir in cooled fish and prawns.
8. Divide filling among tart cases and top with mash, then beetroot relish. Garnish with micro herbs to serve.