Jess and Emma - Scallops
with Cauliflower Purée and Chorizo
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
1 chorizo sausage, finely chopped
12 large scallops, on the half shell
Olive oil, for brushing
2 carrots, grated
Lemon wedges, to serve
1 tbs olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
250ml vegetable stock
125ml thickened cream
1. To prepare the purée, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and cauliflower until soft but not coloured. Add stock and cream. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until cauliflower is very soft. Drain and reserve liquid.
2. Blend cauliflower until smooth. Add enough of the reserved liquid to form a smooth purée. Pass through a fine sieve.
3. To make chorizo crumb, cook chorizo in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat until browned and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
4. To cook the scallops, heat a frying pan over high heat. Lightly brush the scallops with oil and lightly season. Add to pan and cook for 1 minute or until caramelised. Turn and cook for a further 30 seconds or until almost cooked.
5. To assemble, spread carrot on a serving plate and top with scallop shells. Fill with a spoonful of puree and top with a scallop. Sprinkle with chorizo crumbs. Serve with lemon wedges.