Dan and Gemma - Samosa and Raita
Prep time: 45 mins (+resting)
Cook time: 30 mins
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
500g plain flour
1 tsp ground cardamom
¾ tsp salt
½ cup ghee
¼ cup water plus 2 tbsp.
500g potatoes, peeled, quartered
1 long green chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp chili powder
1 tbs lemon juice
¼ cup chopped coriander
125g Greek yoghurt
1 tbs lemon juice
¼ cup finely chopped mint
¼ cup finely chopped coriander
1. To make samosa pastry, sift flour and salt into bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle. Stir in cardamom seeds. With motor operating, drizzle in ghee until mixture resembles crumbs. Drizzle in water to form a dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 1 minute. Wrap dough in cling film and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
2. To make filling, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold, salted water and bring to a boil. Boil until just tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Chop finely.
3. Melt ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chilli and spices. Cook, stirring, until chilli is soft and spices are aromatic. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Cool. Stir through coriander.
4. To make raita, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season. Refrigerate until required.
5. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board until 3mm thick. Cut out 12cm rounds.
6. Spoon filling into centre of each pastry round and fold in half to enclose. Pinch edges to seal.
7. Deep fry samosas in batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
8. Serve samosas with raita. Garnish with coriander.
Add chopped carrots or peas for a different type of filling.
Try serving with your favourite pickle or chutney in addition to the raita.