Alex and Emily - Rosemary & Balsamic Figs
with Caramel and Ricotta
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
8 firm ripe figs
80ml (1/3 cup) balsamic vinegar
80ml (1/3 cup) icing sugar
4 rosemary sprigs
80ml (1/3 cup) chopped walnuts, toasted
Finely grated lemon zest, to decorate
55g (¼ cup) caster sugar
60ml (¼ cup) balsamic vinegar
Lemon Ricotta Cream
250g fresh ricotta
2 tsp icing sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
125ml (½ cup) thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Drizzle figs with vinegar and dust all over with icing sugar. Skewer two figs onto each rosemary sprig and place on an oven tray.
3. To make balsamic caramel, place sugar and 60ml (¼ cup) water in a small heavy based saucepan over medium heat and stir, without boiling and using a wet pastry brush to brush any stray grains on side of pan back down into mixture, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered and without stirring, for 6 minutes or until mixture turns golden brown. Add vinegar and butter and whisk until smooth and dissolved.
4. Drizzle caramel over figs and roast for 15-20 minutes or until figs are soft, but still holding their shape.
5. To make lemon ricotta cream, place ricotta in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Using a whisk or electric beaters, whisk until light and fluffy.
6. Divide figs, ricotta with walnuts among serving plates. Drizzle over any remaining juice and decorate with lemon zest to serve.