Alex and Emily - Roasted Bone Marrow
with Brussels Sprouts
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
4 x 8cm-lengths bone marrow, halved lengthways
6 Brussels sprouts, halved, plus Brussels sprouts leaves, to garnish
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
Lemon cheeks, to serve
100g puy lentils
1 tbs baby capers, rinsed
3 tbs olive oil
1½ tbs vincotto
½ tsp hot English mustard
1 shallot, finely chopped
50g (½ cup) mint leaves
50g (½ cup) flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. Preheat oven to 220C. Place bone marrow, cut-side up, on an oven tray. Season well. Roast for 15 minutes or until golden brown and soft.
2. Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Gently drop sprouts into the oil and fry until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season.
3. To make salad, cook lentils in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain.
4. Preheat a small lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Add capers and cook, lightly crushing with a fork, until crisp and golden.
5. Whisk oil, vincotto and mustard together in a large bowl. Season. Stir in lentils, capers and shallot. Add mint, parsley and deep-fried sprouts. Toss to combine.
6. Divide bone marrow and salad among serving plates and garnish with sprouts leaves. Serve with lemon cheeks to the side.