Georgie and Alicia - Roast Duck
with Plum Jam and Papaya Salad
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 45 mins
4 duck legs
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs honey
4 duck breasts, skin lightly scored
1½ tsp Chinese five-spice
500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
250ml (1 cup) Chinese rice wine (Shaoxing)
200ml soy sauce
100g brown sugar
5 garlic cloves, chopped
5cm-piece ginger, chopped
2 bird’s-eye chillies, finely chopped
1 tbs Chinese five-spice powder
6 fresh ripe plums
55g (¼ cup) brown sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 bird’s-eye chilli, finely chopped
30ml soy sauce
30ml tomato sauce
15ml malt vinegar
2 tbs lime juice
1 tbs rice wine vinegar
1 green papaya, finely shredded
2 green apples, finely shredded
1 mango, thinly sliced
1 cup coriander leaves
2 tbs chopped roasted salted peanuts
1. To make poaching liquid, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Add duck legs and bring to the boil. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour 15 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, to make plum jam, place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and stir for 30 minutes or until plums break down and mixture is thickened. Season. Remove from heat.
3. Preheat oven to 180C.
4. Remove duck legs from poaching liquid and transfer to a roasting tray (strain and reserve poaching liquid for another use). Brush duck legs with combined soy sauce and honey. Roast for 20 minutes or until caramelised.
5. Rub duck breasts all over with five-spice and season. Place breasts, skin-side down, in a cold ovenproof frying pan over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes or until skin is crisp and golden. Turn over and transfer to oven. Roast for 10-12 minutes or until still pink in the middle. Transfer to a warm plate for 5 minutes to rest. Thickly slice.
6. To make salad, place all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Season.
7. Divide duck breast and legs among serving plates, add salad to the side and spoon over sauce to serve.