Pat and Louisa - Rigó Jancsi Cake
(Chocolate Mousse Cake)
Prep time: 1 hour 30 mins (+freezing +setting)
Cook time: 30 mins
80ml smooth apricot jam, warmed
1-2 tbs rum (brandy or whisky)
Edible flowers, to decorate
Vanilla Ice Cream
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
25g unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
150g caster sugar
2 tbs vegetable oil
Coccoa Whipped Cream Filling
1 tbs powdered gelatine
700ml thickened cream
150g icing sugar mixture
30g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
100ml thickened cream
100g dark chocolate
1. To make ice cream, stir milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot cream mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain. Cool. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 30cm x 25cm cake pan and line base and sides with baking paper, with an overhang on all sides (which will allow assembled cake to be easily removed.
4. To make sponge, sift combined flour, cocoa and salt into a bowl.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar together until pale, creamy and doubled in volume. Add sifted flour mixture. Fold to combine. Fold in oil.
6. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
7. Bake for about 8 minutes or until just set. Cool.
8. To make filling, sprinkle gelatine over the water in bowl of an electric mixer and set aside for 5 minutes. Stir in cream to combine. Stir in combined sifted icing sugar and cocoa.
9. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
10. Remove sponge from pan. Cut in half horizontally. Spread jam over one half and return to pan, jam side up. Spread over filling.
11. Drizzle remaining cake half with rum and place on top of filling, rum-side down.
12. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight to set. Remove cake from pan and place on a rack over a tray.
13. To make ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan until hot. Pour over chocolate. Stand 1 minute. Stir until smooth, melted and combined. Spread over top of cake and allow to set.
14. Trim cake edges and cut into pieces. Serve with ice cream. Decorate with edible flowers.
Refrigerating the assembled cake overnight allows the flavours to meld and the cake to moisten. It also makes it easier to cut.