Matt and Aly - Pulled Pork Tacos
Prep time: 45 minsCook time: 3 hours 30 minsServes: 4-6
2kg boneless pork shoulder
1 large ripe avocado, coarsely mashed
2 tsp lime juice
Shredded lettuce, sour cream and lime wedges, to serve
Coriander, to garnish
400g can crushed tomatoes
2 chipotle chillies in adobo sauce, pureed
1 long green chilli, chopped
1 long red chilli, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 fresh pineapple, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
Grated zest of 1 lime
2 tbs white vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground black pepper
750ml bottle lager beer
125g plain flour
½ tsp salt
60ml olive oil
1 large tomato, seeded, diced
½ small red onion, diced
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1 tbs lime juice
Pinch brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. To prepare marinade, blend all ingredients except beer until smooth. Stir in beer. Pour into a large deep roasting dish, big enough to snugly fit pork. Add pork and turn to coat in mixture. Cover dish tightly with foil.
3. Transfer to the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 160C and cook for about a further 2 hours or until pork is very tender.
4. Meanwhile, to make tacos, sift flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in combined water and oil to form a dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
5. To make salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season. Add a little more sugar if required.
6. Divide dough into portions, Roll portions into balls. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out balls to form 5mm thick tortillas.
7. Remove pork from braising liquid and set aside to rest, lightly covered, for 15 minutes. Using two forks, coarsely shred meat. Season.
8. Place roasting dish over a medium heat and gently boil braising liquid until thickened and reduced to form a sauce. Season.
9. Add enough of the sauce to the pulled pork to moisten.
10. Stir lime into mashed avocado and season.
11. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Cook tortillas in batches, until browned and puffed on each side. Cover with tea towel, between cooking to keep tortillas soft.
12. Serve tortillas with pulled pork, salsa, avocado, lettuce, sour cream and lime wedges. Garnish with coriander.