Stella and Jazzey - Prawn Saganaki
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
12 large green prawns, peeled with tails intact, cleaned
100g Greek feta, crumbled
Flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Lemon cheeks, to serve
400g vine-ripened tomatoes
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
125ml (½ cup) dry white wine
2 tbs thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
½ tsp brown sugar
½ tsp salt
7g sachet dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp olive oil
225g (1½ cups) plain flour, plus extra, to dust
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1. To make sauce, using a small sharp knife, cut a small cross in the base of each tomato, place in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes or until skin begins to curl where it has been cut. Drain. Peel and discard skin.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, chilli and garlic and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until softened but not coloured. Stir in wine. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until almost evaporated. Stir in tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until thickened.
3. To make pita, whisk yeast, sugar and 125ml (½ cup) warm water in a jug until combined and set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in oil.
4. Combine flour, salt and oregano in a bowl. Stir in yeast mixture until a dough forms.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
6. Punch down dough and knead for a further 10 minutes. Divide dough into 8 portions and keep covered. Using a rolling pin, flatten 1 portion until 5mm thick. Repeat with remaining dough portions.
7. Preheat a lightly oiled chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate over medium-high heat. Add a bread round and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden and puffed. Turn and cook for a further 30 seconds. Remove and cover with a tea towel to keep warm. Repeat with remaining bread rounds.
8. Preheat oven to 220C.
9. Add prawns to tomato sauce and stir to combine. Divide mixture among four ovenproof dishes and top with feta. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until prawns are cooked through.
10. Divide dishes among serving plates and sprinkle over parsley. Serve with bread and lemon cheeks to the side.