Alex and Emily - Pork & Prawn Toast
with Lemon & Chilli Mayo and Nuoc Cham
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 30 mins
8 small slices sourdough bread
2 tbs black sesame seeds
2 tbs white sesame seeds
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
125ml olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¼ tsp salt
12 prawn heads and shells
1 ½ tbs finely grated palm sugar
2 birds eye chillies, seeds in, finely chopped 1 small clove garlic, crushed
50ml hot water
60ml fish sauce
juice of 2 limes
1 stick lemongrass (white part only), finely chopped
Lemon & Chilli Mayo
2 egg yolks
1 tbs sriracha chilli sauce
1 tsp preserved lemon, chopped
1 tsp agave syrup
250ml grapeseed oil
Pork & Prawn Paste
200g rindless pork belly, chopped
225g can water chestnuts, drained, finely chopped
6 green spring onions, finely chopped
1cm piece fresh ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbs sake
1 tsp chilli bean paste
1 tsp soy sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp cornflour
300g peeled green prawns, chopped
2 tbs Nuoc Cham (as above)
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp fish sauce
1 cup Vietnamese mint leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
1 green spring onion, thinly sliced
1. To make prawn oil, heat 2 tbs of the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, chilli, garlic, salt and the prawn heads and shells. Stir for about 10 minutes or until the heads and shells are bright orange and fragrant.
2. Add remaining oil and cook over lowest heat, stirring often, for about a further 15 minutes or until oil is very flavoursome. Season. Strain and discard solids.
3. To make nuoc cham, stir sugar, chillies, garlic and hot water in a small bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir in remaining ingredients. Set aside to infuse.
4. To make lemon and chilli mayo, process egg yolks, sriracha, lemon and syrup until combined. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until smooth and combine. Season.
5. To make pork and prawn paste, process pork belly until coarsely chopped. Add all remaining ingredients except prawns. Pulse to combine. Add prawns. Pulse until prawns are finely chopped and mixture is combined.
6. Spread mixture over bread slices. Sprinkle with combined sesame seeds.
7. To make herb salad, whisk nuoc cham, vinegar and fish sauce in a large bowl until combined. Add leaves and onion. Toss to coat.
8. Deep fry pork and prawn toasts one or two at a time, until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.
9. Place pork and prawn toasts on serving plates. Drizzle with lemon and chilli mayo. Top with herb salad. Dot plate with prawn oil.