Kim and Suong - Pork & Prawn Rice Paper Rolls
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
400g pork fillet
4 round sheets rice paper, broken into quarters
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
150g rice vermicelli noodles
12 round sheets rice paper, extra
3 iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
24 mint leaves
12 medium cooked prawns, halved horizontally
2 tbs glutinous rice
1 small ripe banana, skin on, thickly sliced
1 tbs caster sugar
100g pork mince
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp curry powder
2 stems coriander, finely chopped
1 green spring onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp vegetable oil
2-3 tbs lemon juice
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled, cut into julienne
1 small red capsicum, cut into julienne
2 sticks celery, cut into julienne
500ml white vinegar
100g caster sugar
1. To make the sauce, place rice and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until very soft. Cool slightly. Transfer to a processor and process to form a purée.
2. Toss banana with sugar. Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat and cook banana, turning occasionally, until golden and caramelised. Transfer to processor with rice purée.
3. To continue making the sauce, using your hands combine all remaining ingredients, except lemon juice, in a bowl.
4. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add mince mixture and cook, stirring, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to processor with rice and banana.
5. Pulse mixture until combined, adding enough water to loosen the mixture, as you process, to form a dipping sauce. Stir in juice. Season.
6. To pickle vegetables, place sliced carrot and cucumber in a bowl.
7. Place julienned vegetables in another bowl.
8. Stir vinegar and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Pour half over each vegetable mixture and set aside to cool completely. Drain to use.
9. Season pork all over. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Cook pork, turning, until almost cooked through. Transfer to a warm plate to rest for 10 minutes. Slice thinly.
10. Deep fry rice paper rounds until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
11. Place vermicelli noodles in a large, heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and set aside for 2-3 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again.
12. Soak one of the extra rice paper rounds in a shallow dish of warm water for 10-20 seconds or until soft. Gently place on a clean tea towel. Add a little of the noodles to the centre of the rice paper and top with a little of the julienned pickled vegetables, shredded lettuce, mint, sliced pork and two prawn halves.
13. Roll up the rice paper, tucking in the sides to enclose filling. Place the roll under a damp tea towel to stop it drying out. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
14. Serve rice paper rolls with dipping sauce, pickled vegetable rounds and crunchy rice paper pieces.