Alex and Emily - Penicillin
Prep time: 2 hours (+freezing and setting)
Cook time: 1 hour
Fresh honeycomb, to serve
Edible flowers, to decorate
4 egg yolks
200g caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
200ml fresh lemon juice
250ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
4 egg whites, whipped to soft peaks
55g caster sugar
6cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, coarsely grated
3 sheets leaf gelatine
220g plain flour
20g raw sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground allspice
100g butter, melted
1 tbs water
110g caster sugar
2 tbs honey
125ml thickened cream
2 tbs butter
2 tbs lemon juice
1. To make parfait, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until pale, thick and doubled in volume. Remove bowl from pan and continue to whisk until slightly cooled. Whisk in honey, zest and juice.
2. Fold in cream in two batches. Fold in egg whites in two batches.
3. Spoon parfait into a freezer proof container or individual silicone moulds. Freeze.
4. To make jelly, stir water, sugar and ginger in a saucepan over lowest heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and set aside for 1 hour to infuse.
5. Return mixture to medium heat until hot. Remove from heat and strain, discarding solids.
6. Soak gelatine leaves in cold water until soft. Stir into hot ginger water until melted and combined.
7. Pour mixture into a small shallow container or individual silicone moulds, refrigerate until set.
8. Preheat oven to 180C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
9. To make ginger crumb, combine flour, sugar and spices in a bowl. Stir in butter and water. Spread mixture onto prepared tray.
10. Bake for about 25 minutes or until dark golden. Cool for 20 minutes on tray. Invert onto a cooling rack and remove baking paper. Cool completely. Crumble coarsely.
11. To make whiskey caramel, stir sugar, honey and water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Cook, swirling pan, until mixture is a dark golden brown. Remove from heat and whisk in cream and butter. Whisk in juice, whiskey and salt
12. Serve lemon parfait and ginger jelly with ginger crumb and fresh honeycomb. Drizzle with whiskey caramel and decorate with edible flowers.
For a theatrical twist, serve the dessert on an inverted dish surrounded by dry ice. Then give the guests a shot of whiskey to pour over it an create aromatic smoke.