Kim and Suong - Pancakes and Coconut Ice Cream
with Tropical Fruit Sauce
Prep time: 1 hour (+freezing)
Cook time: 45 mins
Toasted shredded coconut, to decorate
Coconut Ice Cream
600ml coconut milk
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
½ tsp salt
6 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
300ml can condensed milk (set aside 1 tbs for sauce)
150g self-raising flour
2 tbs caster sugar
250ml coconut milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
50g shredded coconut, lightly toasted
Coconut oil, for cooking
Tropical Fruit Sauce
1 small banana, sliced with skin on
1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
2 tbs honey
1 cup finely chopped fresh papaya
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1. To make ice-cream, stir coconut milk, zest and salt in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot milk mixture, whisking continuously.
3. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Whisk in condensed milk. Strain. Cool completely.
4. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
5. To make pancakes, stir flour and sugar in a bowl to combine.
6. Whisk coconut milk and eggs in a jug to combine. Add to flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Stir in shredded coconut and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. To make tropical fruit sauce, combine banana and pineapple in a bowl. Drizzle with honey. Stir to combine.
8. Melt butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
9. Add banana and pineapple mixture, stirring, until lightly caramelised. Transfer to a blender. Add remaining ingredients.
10. Blend until smooth. Add a little water or pineapple juice if you prefer a thinner sauce. Cool completely.
11. To cook pancakes, brush a medium non-stick frying pan with coconut oil and place over medium heat.
12. Add two ¼ cups of batter to pan, ensuring they do not touch. Cook until bubbles appear on surface and edges are set. Flip and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat to use all the batter.
13. Serve pancakes and ice cream with tropical fruit sauce. Decorate with shredded coconut.
Using an ice cream maker ensure a smooth creamy result. However, if you don't have one you can pour the mixture into a shallow pan and freeze for two hours. Beat with an electric mixer, then return to pan and freeze again.