Kim and Suong - Mustard Leaf Soup
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
500g mustard leaf, cut into 2cm-wide strips
Coriander leaf, sliced red chilli, sliced spring onion and fried shallot, to garnish
1kg chicken bones and wings
1 onion, skin on, quartered
4 celery stalks, chopped
½ bunch green spring onions, white part only
1 bunch coriander roots and stalks, leaves reserved, to serve
1 tbs white sugar
1 tbs salt
Pork and Prawn Balls
250g pork mince
250g medium green prawns, peeled, deveined, flesh finely chopped
½ bunch coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 spring onion, finely chopped
50g rice vermicelli, soaked in warm water, finely chopped
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp ground white pepper
1. To make broth, place all ingredients with 2L (4 cups) water in a stockpot and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming surface regularly, for 1 hour or until reduced by half. Strain through a fine sieve, discarding solids.
3. Return broth to a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
4. To make pork and prawn balls, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Massage for 5 minutes to bind together. Roll 2 tsp of mixture into balls.
5. Add balls to simmering broth and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in mustard leaf and remove from heat.
6. Divide mixture among serving bowls. Garnish with spring onion, coriander, chilli and fried shallot to serve.