Stella and Jazzey - Mexican Seafood Soup
Prep time: 60 mins
Cook time: 90 mins
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Coriander and thinly sliced lemon & lime, to garnish
1 tbs olive oil
12 prawn heads and shells
1 carrot, chopped
1 small brown onion, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 litres fish stock
1 bunch coriander stalks
4 large vine tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled
3 long red chillies
2 tbs olive oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped
12 prawns, peeled, heads and shells reserved
400g fish fillet, cut into 3cm pieces (skin removed & reserved)
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
2 tsp olive oil, extra
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. To make stock, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add prawn shells and heads. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add carrot, onion, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add stock and stalks. Bring to a boil. Simmer over lowest heat, stirring often, for 45 minutes. Strain and discard solids.
3. Meanwhile, to make soup, place tomatoes, garlic and chillies on an oven tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season. Roast for 45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender. Blend to form a coarse puree.
4. Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, until golden brown. Add pureed tomato mixture. Add stock. Bring to a simmer.
5. Pat fish skin dry with absorbent paper. Deep fry in batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
6. Toss prawns and fish with lime zest and extra oil. Season with pepper.
7. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add fish and prawns in small batches. Stir fry until sealed. Add to soup. Simmer until seafood is almost cooked through.
8. Divide soup and seafood among serving bowls. Garnish with sliced lemon and lime, coriander and crispy fish skin.
You could use any of your favourite seafood in this soup - try mussels, clams or squid.
It would also be great served with some toasted tortillas for dipping.