Alex and Emily - Mango Sorbet
with Yoghurt Parfait and Macadamia Crumble
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins
Finger limes, edible flowers and micro basil, to decorate
4 large ripe mangos
180g caster sugar
60g liquid glucose
Juice of 2 lemons
4 fresh finger limes
1 egg yolk
110g caster sugar
250ml plain Greek yoghurt
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
300ml thickened cream
100g chopped nuts, toasted
1 tbs icing sugar
20g macadamia nuts, chopped
50g chilled butter, diced
30g caster sugar
25g plain flour
25g rolled oats
1. To make sorbet, peel mangoes and cut flesh away from stone. Place in a processor and process until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve.
2. Stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in glucose.
3. Remove from heat and whisk in mango puree and lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cold. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Cut finger limes in half and squeeze fruit out of skin (the tiny rounds resemble caviar or little pearls). Stir through sorbet to evenly distribute. Spoon sorbet into a freezer proof container or individual silicone moulds. Freeze.
5. To make parfait, whisk eggs, yolk and sugar in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until pale, thick and doubled in volume. Remove bowl from pan and fold in yoghurt, vanilla seeds and zest.
6. Spoon parfait into a freezer proof container or individual silicone moulds. Freeze.
7. To make macadamia cream, heat cream, nuts and sugar until hot. Blitz with a stick blender. Set aside to cool and infuse. Refrigerate until cold. Strain and discard nuts. Whip cream until firm peaks form.
8. Preheat oven to 180C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
9. To make macadamia crumble, pulse all ingredients to form coarse crumbs. Spread mixture onto prepared tray in a single layer.
10. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Cool completely.
11. Serve mango sorbet and yoghurt parfait with macadamia cream and crumble. Decorate with finger limes, edible flowers and micro basil.
Try layering the sorbet and parfait in a cake then then freezing. You can cut it into slices to serve, for a different style of desert.