Jess and Emma - Lamb Shanks
with Garlic Mash
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
2 tbs olive oil
4 lamb shanks
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
250ml red wine
2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
250ml chicken stock
1 bunch rosemary
6 cloves garlic
250g sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
Season lamb all over. Heat half the oil in a large ovenproof dish over medium-high heat. Add shanks and cook, turning, until browned all over. Set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil to same dish.
2. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in wine and simmer until reduced by half. Stir in tomatoes, stock and rosemary. Bring to the boil. Return shanks to dish and cover tightly with lid or foil.
3. Transfer to oven and cook for 1½ hours or until lamb is tender. Remove shanks and set aside. Simmer sauce over medium heat until slightly thickened. Season. Remove rosemary stalks.
4. To make garlic mash, place potatoes in large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a gentle boil. Add garlic. Boil until potatoes are tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate.
5. Pass potatoes and garlic through a ricer. Add sour cream and beat with a wooden spoon to combine. Season.
6. Serve lamb shanks with garlic mash.