Alex and Emily - Jamon Wrapped Lamb Brains
with Caper Mayonnaise
Prep time: 1 hour 20 mins (+soaking)
Cook time: 30 mins
4 x lamb brains
8 thin slices Jamon Serrano
Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
2 tsp thyme leaves
Seasoned plain flour, for dusting
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups panko crumbs
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1.5 litres water
100ml dry sherry (we used Tio Pepe)
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 small brown onion, sliced
½ bunch thyme
6 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic
2 egg yolks
1 tbs white wine vinegar
1 tbs Champagne vinegar
2 tsp Dijon
250ml light olive oil
1 tbs baby capers, rinsed, finely chopped
1 tsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tsp finely chopped dill
1 tsp finely chopped shallot
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp Champagne vinegar
40g baby watercress
1. Soak brains in cold salted water in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to overnight, to remove impurities. Drain and rinse under cold water. Peel away any skin or membranes.
2. Place all poaching liquid ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add brains and return to a simmer. Simmer for 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and pat dry. Discard poaching liquid.
3. Separate each brain into two lobes and trim away any membranes. Place in a bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate.
4. To make caper mayonnaise, place the garlic clove on a chopping board and coarsely chop. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, then crush into a paste using the flat side of a heavy knife.
5. Process egg yolks, vinegars and mustard until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until thick and smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season.
6. Place a slice of Jamon on the bench. Add a pinch of lemon zest and thyme. Place one of the brain lobes on top and roll to enclose. Dust with seasoned flour, dip in egg and roll in panko crumbs. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make eight crumbed brain lobes.
7. To make rocket salad, whisk oil and vinegar in a bowl. Add rocket and toss to coat. Season.
8. Deep fry brains until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
9. Serve lamb brains with rocket salad and caper mayonnaise.
You'll probably need to order the brains from your butcher, because they're not readily available in supermarkets.