Alex and Emily - Lamb Backstrap
with Kale, Onion Purée and Port Jus
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 20 mins
6 kale leaves, leaves trimmed, torn
2 tbs olive oil
250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
2 tsp butter
600g lamb backstrap
2 tbs finely chopped rosemary
Finely grated macadamias, to garnish
1kg lamb bones
1 onion, quartered
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
6 garlic cloves, unpeeled, bruised
1 tbs olive oil
250ml (1 cup) port
500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
500ml (2 cups) beef stock
4 rosemary sprigs
1 tbs cornflour, dissolved in 1 tbs cold water
4 onions, skin on
60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
2 pears, peeled, thinly sliced
250ml (1 cup) white wine vinegar
55g (¼ cup) caster sugar
1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. To make jus, place bones and vegetables in a flameproof roasting dish. Drizzle with oil and season. Roast for 40 minutes or until caramelised.
3. Remove dish from oven and place over medium heat. Add port and stir to deglaze, scraping any caramelised bits off base of pan. Stir in stocks and rosemary. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until reduced by half.
4. Strain mixture into a saucepan, discarding solids. Whisk in combined cornflour and water. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture bubbles and thickens. Season.
5. To make onion purée, place whole onions on an oven tray. Roast for 1 hour or until very soft.
6. When cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop flesh into a blender. Blend until smooth. Add oil and season. Blend to combine. Pass mixture through a fine sieve.
7. To make pickled pears, place pear in a bowl.
8. Place vinegar, sugar and bay leaf in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot. Pour over pears and toss to coat. Set aside to pickle and cool.
9. Place half the kale leaves on an oven tray. Drizzle with half the oil and season. Roast for 5-7 minutes or until crisp.
10. Heat chicken stock and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add remaining kale leaves and simmer for 3 minutes or until tender. Drain.
11. Brush lamb all over with remaining oil and season. Rub all over with rosemary.
12. Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add lamb and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a warm plate, lightly covered with foil, for 5 minutes to rest. Thickly slice.
13. Divide lamb, onion purée, roasted and poached kale mong serving plates. Drain pickled pear and add to plate. Spoon over jus to serve.