Sonya and Hadil - Knafeh
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
300g kataifi pastry
100g melted butter
50g butter, chopped
Finely crushed toasted pistachios and dried rose petals, to decorate
330g (1½ cups) caster sugar
2 tsp rosewater
1 tsp lemon juice
100g grated mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. To make sugar syrup, place sugar and 185ml (¾ cup) water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in rosewater and lemon juice. Set aside to cool completely.
3. To make filling, combine cheeses in a bowl.
4. Place pastry in a large bowl and separate strands. Add melted butter and mix to coat.
5. Divide half the pastry among four 10cm springform pans, pressing to compact. Top with cheese filling, leaving a 5mm border, then remaining pastry, pressing to compact. Dot with chopped butter. Place on an oven tray and bake for 40 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool 5 minutes.
6. Place knafeh on each serving plate and drizzle with remaining syrup. Decorate with pistachios and rose petals to serve.