Stuss and Steve - Kleftiko
(Greek Baked Lamb)
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 3 hours 15 mins
1kg boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 5cm pieces
60ml olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 medium potatoes, chopped coarsely
2 truss tomatoes, quartered
1 red onion, chopped coarsely
1 small yellow capsicum, chopped coarsely
1 small green capsicum, chopped coarsely
200g kefalograviera cheese, chopped coarsely
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
60ml dry white wine
2 tbs wholegrain mustard
2 tbs dried oregano
4 stalks fresh rosemary
1. Place lamb in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season well. Toss to coat.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook lamb in small batches until browned all over. Transfer to a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Season. Toss to combine.
3. Preheat oven to 160C.
4. Place a large piece of baking paper on work bench. Top with a layer of foil the same size.
5. Place a quarter of the lamb mixture in centre of foil. Draw foil and baking paper into centre to form a parcel. Tie with kitchen string to secure, leaving a hole for the steam to escape. Repeat to make four parcels and place them on an oven tray.
6. Bake for about 2-2 ½ hours or until lamb is very tender.
7. Place parcels on serving plates for guests to unwrap at the table. Serve with lemon wedges.
This dish can also be cooked in individual dishes rather than parcels, or as one large roast.