Olga and Valeria - Izba Cake
Prep time: 2 hours (+refrigeration)
Cook time: 30 mins
3 x 700g jars pitted sour cherries in light syrup
Grated dark chocolate and sifted icing sugar, to decorate
200g sour cream
220g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
Sour Cream Mixture
500g sour cream
180g caster sugar
5g vanilla bean paste
1. Drain cherries and reserve syrup for another use.
2. Place cherries in a single layer, on a large tray lined with absorbent paper, to drain of any excess syrup.
3. To make pastry, whisk sour cream and baking powder in a bowl until smooth and combined.
4. Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat butter, sugar and salt until pale and fluffy. Beat in sour cream mixture. Change attachment to a paddle and add flour. Mix until just combined to form a dough. Shape dough into a disc and cover in cling film. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, to prepare sour cream mixture, whisk sour cream, sugar and vanilla paste until smooth and sugar has dissolved. Refrigerate until required.
6. Preheat oven to 180C.
7. Lightly dust work surface with flour. Cut dough into six portions.
8. Roll a portion into a rectangle (approx. 45cm x 8cm).
9. Arrange a single row of cherries down centre, then fold in long sides of rectangle to enclose and form a long sausage shape. Repeat with remaining dough and cherries.
10. Place cherry pastry rolls on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
11. Bake for about 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp. Cool completely on tray.
12. To assemble, arrange three of the cherry rolls in a row on a tray or serving platter. Spread with a layer of the sour cream. Stack another two on top and spread with another layer of sour cream. Place final cherry roll on top, to create a triangular pyramid shape. Spread all over with remaining sour cream. Refrigerate for several hours or up to overnight.
13. Decorate with grated chocolate and sifted icing sugar. Cut into slices.