Kim and Suong - Hu Tieu
(Prawn & Pork Noodle Soup)
Prep time: 1 hour 30 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
100g pork fat, cut into 1cm cubes
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
400g Hu Tieu rice noodles
4 quails eggs, hard boiled
1 bunch garlic chives, chopped
Sliced red chili, to garnish
Lemon wedges, to serve
1 dried squid
1 tbs vegetable oil
8 prawn heads and shells
1 brown onion, chopped
2 stick celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, bruised
1kg pork bones
500g pork scotch fillet
1kg chicken frames
1 bunch green spring onions (lower white stalks)
1 bunch coriander roots
2 tsp salt
2 tsp caster sugar
2 litres water
8 prawns, peeled, heads and shells reserved
1kg tiger prawns
1kg chicken frames
1whole onion, cut into 2
4stalks of celery, cut into 4
4stalks of spring onion, roots for stock and leaf for garnish
1bunch of coriander, roots for stock and leaf for garnish
1tbsp chicken powder (Lee Kum Kee Brand or Knorr Brand)
12 quail eggs boiled and shelled
Pork Mince Mixture
500g pork mince
2 green spring onions (green part only), finely chopped
2 coriander stalks, finely chopped
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp cracked black pepper
1. To make stock, cook dried squid over an open flame for 2-3 minutes to release aroma.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add prawn heads and shells. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add pork bones and fillet and chicken frames. Stir in remaining ingredients.
3. Bring to a boil. Simmer over lowest heat, stirring often, for 1 hour or until reduced by half, regularly skimming top to remove any scum. Remove pork scotch fillet and set aside. Strain remaining mixture and discard solids. Return stock to a clean saucepan and bring to a simmer.
4. Thinly slice pork scotch fillet and set aside.
5. To prepare pork mince mixture, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
6. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Stir fry pork mince mixture until just cooked through.
7. Deep fry pork fat until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season.
8. Cook noodles according to packet instructions.
9. Add prawns to simmering stock. Cook for about 2 minutes or until just cooked through.
10. Divide noodles, pork mince, sliced pork fillet, quails eggs, garlic chives and beansprouts among serving bowls. Top with simmering stock and prawns. Sprinkle with crispy pork fat.
11. Garnish with chilli. Serve with lemon wedges.