Ash and Matty - Espresso Crème Brûlée
Prep time: 25 minsCook time: 50 mins (+chilling)Serves: 6
400ml thickened cream
80g golden caster sugar
60ml (¼ cup) strong freshly brewed espresso
9 egg yolks
6 tbs caster sugar, plus extra, to sprinkle
Whipped cream and strawberries, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Place cream, milk and sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot. Remove from heat. Stir in espresso.
3. Whisk egg yolks until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot cream mixture, whisking continuously, until combined. Strain mixture into a jug.
4. Divide mixture among six ovenproof dishes or ramekins. Place dishes or ramekins in a baking dish and add enough boiling water to come halfway up side of dishes.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or until just set. Remove dishes from water and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold.
6. Sprinkle tops of brûlées with extra sugar and cook under a hot grill or melt sugar with a blowtorch.
7. Serve crème brûlées with whipped cream and strawberries to the side.