Davide and Marco - Eggplant Parmigiana
with Fennel & Orange Salad
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins
2 baby fennel, thinly sliced
2 oranges, segmented
2 blood oranges, segmented
4 eggplants, peeled, cut into 1cm-thick slices
1 tbs olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2L (8 cups) passata sauce
1 bunch basil, leaves picked
Plain flour, to dust
Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
500g-piece mozzarella, grated
100g (1¼ cups) grated parmesan
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 pinch of brown sugar
1. To make parmigiana, sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and layer in a colander over a bowl. Top with a plate and weigh it down. Set aside for 30 minutes to drain, then rinse and pat dry.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until golden. Stir in passata and basil. Season. Bring to the boil and simmer over medium-low heat for 25 minutes or until slightly thickened.
3. Place flour in a shallow bowl and season. Dust eggplant slices and shallow fry, in batches, for 2 minutes on each side or until tender and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
4. Preheat to 200C.
5. Arrange a layer of eggplant slices in an ovenproof dish. Spread with sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan. Repeat layering until all ingredients are used, ending with a thick layer of cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. To make salad dressing, whisk all ingredients to combine. Season.
7. Place fennel and oranges in a large bowl with salad dressing and toss to combine.
8. Slice eggplant parmigiana and place on serving plates. Serve with salad to the side.