Alex and Emily - Crispy Skin Salmon
with Poor Man's Parmesan
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
4 x 200g salmon fillets, skin on
2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
Fresh herbs, to garnish
Poor Man's Parmesan
2 tbs baby capers
4 slices day old bread (ciabatta, Turkish or sourdough would all work)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
60ml olive oil
¼ cup finely chopped tarragon
¼ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
½ small shallot, finely chopped
80ml extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs white wine vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp agave or pinch caster sugar
1. To make Poor Man’s Parmesan, rinse and dry capers, then finely chop.
2. Trim crusts from bread and discard. Coarsely chop bread, then pulse in a processor to form coarse crumbs.
3. Place crumbs in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until pale golden and crisp. Stir in capers. Add garlic, chilli and oil. Cook, stirring, until chilli and garlic are soft and crumbs are dark golden and crisp. Stir in herbs. Season.
4. To make lemon emulsion, process all ingredients (or blitz with a stick blender) until smooth and combined. Season.
5. Preheat oven to 180C.
6. Heat a large lightly oiled frying pan over medium-high heat.
7. Season salmon all over with salt and add to pan, skin side down. Cook until skin is dark golden and crisp.
8. Transfer salmon to oven and cook for about a further 3-4 minutes or until cooked as desired.
9. Boil or steam asparagus until almost tender. Drain.
10. Melt butter in a frying pan. Stir in zest and juice. Add asparagus and toss to coat.
11. Sprinkle salmon with Poor Man’s Parmesan and serve with asparagus and lemon emulsion. Garnish with herbs.