Dan and Gemma - Crème Brûlée
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
400ml double cream
1 ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
5 egg yolks
50g caster sugar
Extra caster sugar, to sprinkle
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Place four ramekins in a deep roasting dish.
2. Stir cream, milk and vanilla in a saucepan over low heat until hot. Remove from heat.
3. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Gradually stir in cream mixture.
4. Strain through a fine sieve into ramekins.
5. Add enough hot water to come a third of the way up sides of ramekins and transfer to the oven.
6. Cook for about 30-35 minutes or until custard is set but still has a slightly wobble.
7. Remove ramekins from roasting dish and set aside to cool at room temperature. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
8. Sprinkle tops with extra sugar to form a thin, even layer. Use a blowtorch or cook under a hot grill until sugar is golden brown, melted and caramelised.
Try using fresh berries or a small dessert biscuit as an accompaniment.