Alex and Emily - Cointreau & Chocolate Mousse
with Orange Blossom Pistachio Praline
Prep time: 40 mins (+setting)
Cook time: 30 mins
Quartered strawberries, to serve
125g dark chocolate, finely chopped
2 egg yolks
2 tbs orange flavoured liqueur (cointreau)
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
125ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
2 egg whites, whipped to soft peaks
100g shelled pistachios, toasted
220 g caster sugar
2 tsp orange blossom water
1. To make mousse, melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in yolks. liqueur and zest. Fold in cream in two batches. Fold in egg whites in two batches. Divide among serving glasses. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
2. To make praline, line an oven tray with baking paper. Spread nuts on tray in a single layer.
3. Stir sugar, water and orange blossom water in a medium heavy-based saucepan, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Use a wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals on side of pan.
4. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil, without stirring, until dark golden brown. Carefully pour caramel over nuts on prepared tray. Cool until set. Break into pieces. Process until coarsely chopped.
5. Serve mousse topped with praline and strawberries.
You can use any type of orange flavoured liqueur for this dish.
Try serving the mousse with orange segments instead of strawberries for a more citrusy flavour.