Henry and Anna - Coffee Ice Cream Sandwich
Prep time: 1 hour 45 mins (+freezing)
Cook time: 1 hour
Grated chocolate and chocolate covered coffee beans, to decorate
Coffee Ice Cream
2 cups roasted coffee beans
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
110g caster sugar
185 plain flour
35g self-raising flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g dark chocolate, grated
180ml thickened cream
50g brown sugar
1. To make ice-cream, stir milk, cream and coffee beans in a saucepan over lowest heat until hot. Remove from heat. Set aside for 1 hour (or up to overnight) to infuse. Strain and discard beans. Return mixture to heat until hot.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot milk mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain. Cool. Refrigerate until cold.
3. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Pour ice cream into prepared tray. Freeze.
5. Preheat oven to 200C. Grease and line two oven trays.
6. To make biscuits, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and egg until pale and creamy. Add combined sifted flours, cinnamon and soda. Beat to combine. Beat in buttermilk.
7. Place tablespoons of batter onto prepared trays, 5cm apart.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until firm to touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
9. To make fudge sauce, stir cream, milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth and melted.
10. To assemble, using a cookie cutter, cut out rounds of ice cream the same size as your biscuits.
11. Sandwich biscuits with ice cream and a drizzle of sauce. Decorate with grated chocolate and chocolate coffee beans.
For a quicker version of this recipes, try using your favourite pre-packaged biscuits.