Josh and Nic - Coffee Budino
with Chocolate Ice Cream and Amaretti
Prep time: 1 hour 30 mins (+setting and freezing)
Cook time: 1 hour
Chocolate Ice Cream
200ml thickened cream
1 tbs liquid glucose
4 egg yolks
50g caster sugar
2 tbs cocoa powder
1 tbs cornflour
200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
600ml thickened cream
180g caster sugar
180ml freshly brewed espresso coffee
6 large egg yolks
500g almond meal
400g caster sugar
4 egg whites
1 tbs amaretto liqueur
100g caster sugar
10g liquid glucose
2 egg whites
1. To make ice cream, place milk, cream and glucose in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until hot.
2. Place egg yolks, sugar, cocoa powder and cornflour in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and combined.
3. Whisk a quarter of the hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture until smooth and combined. Gradually whisk in remaining milk mixture.
4. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in chocolate until melted and combined.
5. Strain into a bowl and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Preheat oven to 110C.
To make budino, stir cream and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot.
7. Remove from heat. Stir in coffee and whisk in egg yolks one at a time. Strain into a jug.
Pour mixture into six ovenproof dishes or coffee cups. Place in a baking dish and add enough boiling water to come half way up side of dishes.
Bake for about 40 minutes or until just set. Remove dishes from water and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold.
8. Increase oven to 160C and line two oven trays with baking paper.
To make amaretti biscuits, mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Shape tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on prepared tray, 2cm apart. Flatten slightly. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a rack to cool. Crumble coarsely.
9. To make Italian meringue, stir sugar, glucose and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil.
10. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor operating, gradually drizzle in sugar syrup until meringue is thick and glossy.
11. To assemble dessert, crumble amaretti biscuits over budino. Top with a ball of ice cream and spoon over a layer of meringue. Use a palette knife to flatten top of meringue
12. Using a blowtorch, gently caramelise top of meringue (to resemble the top of a cappuccino).