Alex and Emily - Chorizo & Prawn Bisquotto
Prep time: 30 minsCook time: 2 hoursServes: 4
12 large prawns, peeled with tails intact, heads and shells reserved, cleaned
200ml thickened cream
1 tbs light olive oil
Finely chopped parsley and lemon cheeks, to serve
1 tbs light olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
60ml (¼ cup) dry sherry
2 bay leaves
2L (8 cups) fish stock
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g arborio rice
125ml (½ cup) dry sherry
1 pinch of saffron
200g chorizo, finely chopped
1. To make stock, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add reserved prawn heads and shells and using the end of a rolling pin, pound to combine. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic and vegetables and cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Stir in sherry and bay leaves. Add fish stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth, then strain through a fine sieve into a large jug.
3. To make risotto, place stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and whisk in cream. Season. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until slightly reduced. Reduce heat to low and keep at a gentle simmer.
4. Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until translucent. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until well coated. Add sherry and bring to the boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until almost evaporated. Stir in saffron. Add stock, 125ml (½ cup) at a time and stirring constantly between additions, until stock has been absorbed and rice is al dente; this will take about 25 minutes.
5. Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, turning, for 4-5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Add to risotto and stir to combine.
6. Toss prawns with oil and season. Add to pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until charred and just cooked through.
7. Divide risotto among serving plates and top with prawns. Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon cheeks to the side.