Olga and Valeria - Chilli Pan Mee
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
400g pork mince
15g dried shiitake mushrooms
Peanut oil, to deep-fry
40g dried anchovies
200g fresh or dry wheat noodles
Steamed Asian greens and fried eggs, to serve
2 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp caster sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 pinch of ground white pepper
20g dried red chillies
4 long red chillies, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled
20g dried anchovies
60ml (¼ cup) peanut oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tbs tamarind paste
30g palm or brown sugar
1. To make marinade, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add pork mince. Using your hands, mix to combine.
2. Place mushrooms in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain. Thinly slice mushrooms and stir into pork mixture.
3. To make chilli sauce, place dried chillies in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and transfer to a food processor with fresh chillies, garlic and anchovies. Process until finely chopped.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chilli mixture and shallot and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Stir in 100ml water. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring often, for 6-8 minutes or until softened and thickened. Stir in tamarind paste and sugar. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
5. Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with peanut oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Gently drop dried anchovies into the oil and fry for 1-2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
6. Preheat an oiled wok over high heat. Working in batches, stir-fry pork mixture until just cooked through.
7. Cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain.
8. Arrange noodles in serving bowls. Top with pork mixture, fried anchovies, Asian greens and fried eggs. Serve with chilli sauce to the side.