Henry and Anna - Chicken and Lemon Roast Potatoes
with Green Beans and Mushroom Sauce
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
4 chicken thigh fillets
1 tbs olive oil
Steamed green beans, to serve
1 tbs olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
200g mixed mushrooms, coarsely chopped
125ml dry white wine
2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
300ml thickened cream
1kg medium size potatoes
60m duck fat, melted
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1. To make sauce, heat oil and butter in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft but not coloured. Stir in mushrooms. Cook until tender and all liquid has evaporated.
2. Stir in wine. Simmer until almost evaporated. Stir in thyme. Stir in cream. Simmer until thickened and reduced to form a sauce. Season.
3. Preheat oven to 200C.
4. Place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a boil. Boil gently until almost tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Shake in colander to roughen edges.
5. Transfer to an oven tray and pour over duck fat. Season with salt and sprinkle with lemon zest. Toss to coat. Roast until golden and crisp, turning half way through.
6. Season chicken all over and drizzle with oil.
7. Heat a barbecue flatplate or large frying pan on medium heat. Add chicken, skin-side down. Cook until skin is golden and crisp. Transfer to an oven tray, skin-side up. Roast for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
8. Serve chicken, potatoes and beans with sauce.
You could use any cut of chicken with this dish. Breast, legs or butterflied chicken would be great.
Use full flavoured mushrooms in your sauce - chestnut, portobello or Swiss browns all work well, and porcini if its available.